Reported on December 3, 2010

You may want to avoid swallowing some Fuji Lavender Mothballs. These colorful packaged, white tablets that resemble candy could actually kill you.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) put out a warning to the public about pesticides being inside the mothballs last week. The mothballs are suspected to contain the ingredient Para-dichlorobenzene, a toxic chemical.

The EPA discovered about 4,800 products of Fuji Lavender Mothballs at a warehouse in Kearny, NJ. A problem is the Chinese packaged mothballs are not registered with EPA. EPA urges the public to not purchase any Fuji Lavender Mothballs.

Ingesting Para-dichlorobenzene could lead to vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory problems, coma or death.

According to Judith Enck, EPA Regional Administrator, “EPA wants to make sure that no one gets sick from these illegal imported toxic pesticides.”

The EPA investigation continues. “The removal of this significant threat to the public’s safety and health demonstrates CBP’s vigilance in protecting the United States,” said Mr. Robert E. Perez, U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Director New York Field Office.

Image courtesy of DNAinfo.com 

If you enjoyed this and would like to read more from Anthony, check out his novel ‘Stay Awhile’ on Amazon amazon.com/Stay-Awhile.

Advertisements